Ohmygoodness, my SECOND Friday Five. I feel so hip and in-the-know. Kinda. Because it’s actually Saturday (*oops*). So I can’t really claim to be on top of it. Anyway, here we go!
1. It’s Valentine’s Day! I happen to love Valentine’s Day and am not cynical one little bit. I think the story of St. Valentine sending a letter signed “Your Valentine” to his sweetheart from within the confines of jail is, well, sweet. And I refuse to think of it as just a Hallmark holiday. That said, Nate and I are just getting Indian takeout. But I’m actually really excited about that. The whole restaurant on Valentine’s thing is really fun but kind of stresses me out and I’d just rather go get more for my money another night. Plus, I haven’t had Indian since leaving Philly almost 6 months ago!
2. I’m very sad to hear about Bowen Press’s closing this week. I wish it had more of a chance to get off the ground before the decision was made to cut the imprint. But obviously it is hard for me to know the full story behind anything and I recognize that publishers have had to make difficult choices in these economic times. That said, I’m glad that it seems *most* of those editors will get to stay on with HarperTeen. On a related note, how weird is it that the Collins was cut from Harper? Do we just call it Harper now??? Rather than HarperCollins?
3. I finished the first 50 pages of the WIP, edited several times and sent them off for betaing. I have still been trying to wrestle those flashbacks to the ground, but I think they are shaping up slowly but surely. My goal is to send those pages to my agent on Monday. We’ll see how that goes.
4. Lots of the 2009 Deb books are beginning to pop up on Amazon for pre-order. Remember how awesome they are? I think I’ve seen Megan Crewe, Cindy Pon, and Jackson Pearce up. Let me know if there are others already available.
5. Did you see Nathan Bransford’s this week in publishing article? I really want a potbelly pig now! So badly. I did research on them last night and I genuinely think I’d like to have one as a pet. Nate said “no,” though. But, hey, he’s not the boss of me!!