Oh hey. I’m Chandler Baker (formerly-and-quite-recently known as Chandler Craig). I’m a twenty-something lawyer, author of young adult and middle grade fiction and dedicated nerdfighter. In 2011, I graduated law school from the University of Texas in Austin. Prior to that, I attended the University of Pennsylvania, where I graduated early so that I could take time off to try my hand at this whole writing thing. So far, so good.
I like morbid facts, watching scary movies through my fingers, thai food, Eminem and very high heels.
My debut novel, ALIVE, will be out sometime in 2015 from Disney-Hyperion. Here’s the Publisher’s Marketplace Announcement:
Chandler Baker’s debut ALIVE, pitched as in the vein of Gayle Foreman and Lauren Oliver, about a girl recovering from a heart transplant, whose recovery (acclimating back to home and school life) also introduces disturbing side effects and hallucinations that haunt her every day, as she soon discovers the line between life and death is more fragile than even a girl with a replacement heart could imagine, to Emily Meehan at Disney-Hyperion, with Laura Schreiber editing, at auction, by Daniel Lazar at Writers House on behalf of Nick Harris at The Story Foundation.
Agent Information: Daniel Lazar, Writers House
More about me?
My favorite authors: John Green (DFTBA), Laurie Halse Anderson, Ally Carter, Courtney Summers, Stephanie Perkins, Lauren Oliver, Melissa Marr, William Styron, Alain Robbe-Grillet, J.K. Rowling, Orson Scott Card, J.R.R. Tolkein, Frank Herbert, Lisa Shearin, P.C. and Kristin Cast, Stephenie Meyer
Writing Quote I live by: “Am I kidding myself about being a “creative artist”? Can I possibly be a creative artist if I approach this effort in so methodical and left-brained a fashion?”–Journal of a Novel
Characters I Can’t Live Without: Hazel Grace, Etienne, Sam Kingston, Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, Zoey Redbird, Stevie Rae Johnson, Ender Wiggin, Ruby Oliver, Donia, Stingo, Paul Atreides, Bilbo Baggins
5 Crucial Things You Need to Know About Me:
1. Jay Leno tops my Sexiest Man in the World list. Not kidding.
2. I hate bananas and all forms of cake. That includes pancakes, cupcakes, muffins, and brownies. I’m nothing if not consistent.
3. I like to research serial killers, but then when I’m done, I’m scared out of my pants and can’t sleep for weeks.
4. If you touch my neck, I’ll punch your face. Ok, not really, but it does freak me out a lot and I will be very upset and make a weird hissing noise then turn bright red.
5. I never go anywhere without applying waterproof mascara.